Monday, October 25, 2010

Glenview Pub & Grill: A Hidden Gem in North Chelmsford

One of my favorite things about being a food writer is finding restaurants that are off the beaten path that end up being incredible dining establishments. Last week, I found one such restaurant: Glenview Pub & Grill in North Chelmsford.

I met my college friend, Paul, halfway between Boston and New Hampshire for dinner, and he had heard rave reviews about Glenview from one of his colleagues who grew up in Chelmsford. Upon pulling into the parking lot, I immediately realized that just about everyone had heard the same rave reviews, as the parking lot was packed and there was a line almost out the door.

We waited about an hour for a table, and decided to get a beer while we waited. I opted for a Sam Adams Octoberfest, which was ice cold and delicious after a long day of work.


Paul and I chatted while we sipped our beers, so our hour wait went by fairly quickly. Before we knew it, we were seated for dinner - hungry and eager to see if Glenview's reviews were accurate.

Our waitress brought us some complimentary warm rolls with butter while Paul and I perused the lengthy menu. There were a variety of options, all reasonably priced, including burgers, sandwiches, entrees (like Homemade Jumbo Shepherd's Pie), and Italian specialties, to name a few. I finally decided on The Glennie Burger, which came with my choice of French, Cajun, or country fries, onion rings or chips. I opted for the Cajun fries, and also got cheese and guacamole on my burger, in addition to the lettuce and tomato it came with. 


(Yes, I took a bite before the photo was taken. I did have to wait an hour for this burger, after all).

The burger, which I had cooked medium, was juicy, without being greasy, and absolutely ginormous. I barely ate 3/4 of it, but was impressed with the what tasted like homemade guacamole, and the crispy, also not overly greasy, fries. The Cajun fries weren't very spicy, but I will let that go as the rest of the meal was well worth the hour wait.

Glenview's service was organized, quick and friendly, and the food definitely lived up to its reviews. I'll definitely be back to Glenview for dinner - especially because they have so many menu options that I'd love to try.

What's your favorite "hidden gem" restaurant?

Glenview Pub & Grill on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. Ha! Sometimes as a food blogger we just can't wait to take a bite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite hidden gem? The Glenview. They've been my go-to dinner choice for well over a decade. You learn to navigate the times of day when they are most busy (surprisingly, going early is a *bad* idea - it's very popular with the AARP crowd) and the enormous menu (including the things that aren't on the menu that you can always order anyway).
    Glad you got to check out my favorite place! :)

    ReplyDelete