Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Nutella and Peanut Butter Cookies

I fell in love with this when we were in Italy - and now my life mission is to incorporate it in every single meal for the rest of my life.

Well, maybe not every single meal - but I am eager to use Nutella in a number of different recipes over the next few months. I know it seems strange that, of all the things I could consume in Italy, Nutella is what I came back with - but it's silky, creamy texture and nutty, chocolate-y flavor just totally won me over. It was inevitable.

So, on Sunday, I wanted to take advantage of the overcast, colder weather - and the Nutella in my cabinet - and made Nutella and Peanut Butter Cookies. I used this recipe, calculated it to make 12 cookies versus 24, and instead of using 1/2 cup peanut butter, I used 1/4 cup of peanut butter and 1/4 cup of Nutella. I also used whole wheat flour since that's what I always have in my pantry.


The end result was a sweeter, silkier peanut butter cookie. The Nutella added a very subtle chocolate and nutty flavor to the mix, although next time I'll probably add more Nutella so more of its spectacular flavor comes through.


The peanuts from the chunky peanut butter also added a great, crunchy texture to these otherwise chewy, soft cookies.


What's your favorite recipe using Nutella?

Side note: For those of you who don't know, I am now also the Boston Budget Wine Examiner for Examiner.com. Feel free to follow my wine-o posts there for affordable wine events in the area, as well as reviews of some of my favorite inexpensive wines. 

10 comments:

  1. I'm not embarrased to admit...I like Nutella by the spoonful straight from the jar :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! These look SO delicious- and sound like a great pairing! I heart peanut butter cookies, and Nutella may be one of the greatest things ever created so together? I see a match made in heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved how Nutella was everywhere in Italy. I've tried other brands of hazelnut spreads too but keep coming back to Nutella. Haven't made Nutella cookies yet but will do so soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle, I am totally with you - that's a great way to enjoy Nutella!
    Fiona - thank you! I hope you try them.
    Bianca - Nutella was literally everywhere in Italy! One of the many reasons why I'm already dying to go back. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, like Michelle, I eat Nutella straight out of the jar. My favorite recipe was with puff pastry and bananas foster though. Delicious!

    I've been reading your Examiner posts. Check out mine when you get a chance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a roommate when I first moved to boston who made sweet calzones using nutella and marscarpone cheese........they were amazing.

    Normally I just eat nutella on graham crackers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nutella makes me happy. There are three things I always have on hand at home: Cheese, olive oil and Nutella...not to be used all at once of course!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Umm, peanut butter AND nutella? Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nutella is absolutely amazing isn't it. I was just googling some Nutella chewy chocolate chip cookie recipes earlier this morning. I am up to doing a little baking too since it is such a gloomy weather and all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds really good. I made peanut butter cookies this weekend and was trying to think of something to frost them with... I think I might try nutella!

    ReplyDelete