Friday, October 22, 2010

Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip 'Scones'

After we got back from Italy, I had the itch to get in the kitchen to cook and bake. I also wanted to make use of items I already had in my pantry to create new, delicious dishes and liven up my meals for the week ahead. On the same day I made my Homemade Black Bean Burgers, I also made some homemade scones. I got the recipe from a cookbook my mom gave me a few months ago, called Easy Chocolate


This is a fantastic cookbook to have on hand for when you're looking for a quick, yet "special" dessert recipe (there's way more than just chocolate cake in this book). The original recipe called for self-rising flour, but since I just had whole wheat flour, I used this method to make it self-rising. I also only had soy milk on hand, so I used that in place of regular milk. As a result, my scones did come out a little dense, slightly chewy, and thinner than I expected. For me, this was still an OK texture, but you may want to follow Easy Chocolate's recipe exactly if you prefer fluffy, airy scones. 


Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip 'Scones'
Yields: 9

-2 cups self-rising whole wheat flour, plus extra for dusting
-5 tbsp. unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
-1 tbsp. superfine sugar (I just used regular granulated sugar)
-1/3 cup chocolate chips
-About 2/3 cup soy milk, plus extra for brushing

Directions:
1.) Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
2.) Sift the flour into a mixing bowl. Cut the butter into small pieces and rub it into the flour with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
3.) Stir in the sugar and chocolate chips, then mix in enough of the milk to form a soft dough.
4.) On a lightly floured counter, roll out the dough to form a 4 x 6-inch/10 x 5-cm rectangle, about 1 inch/2.5 cm thick. Cut the dough into 9 squares.
5.) Place the scones on the prepared baking sheet, spaced well apart. Brush the tops with a little milk and bake in the preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes, until risen and golden.



With a smear of chunky peanut butter on top, these scones are the perfect accompaniment to a cup of coffee in the morning, or even dessert after dinner. As an added bonus, these scones are also slightly healthy, thanks to the whole wheat flour and the soy milk.

Have you ever made your own scones? What's your favorite recipe?

3 comments:

  1. I've only made scones once before and they were yummy pumpkin scones! Yours looks good and I love that you utilize what is in your pantry instead of going out and getting lots of different ingredients all of the time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm I love chocolate chip scones!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of whole wheat scone... I haven't seen that many places. I have a lovely cast iron scone pan I've never used. Maybe it's time to take it out!

    ReplyDelete