Friday, March 26, 2010

Kind-of-Mediterranean turkey burgers

Goat cheese, kalamata olives, parsley, and rosemary - all wrapped up in one elegant, healthy turkey burger.

I rarely eat red meat or beef when I am at home, so when I'm cooking burgers or meatloaf, I usually use scrambled turkey. Compared to scrambled turkey breast or beef, which cost around $4-5 a package at my local Hannaford, turkey is just above $3. And for this particular meal, I already had the rest of the ingredients in my fridge, minus the crumbled goat cheese.

I was pleasantly surprised at how these burgers came out, although I decreased the amount of goat cheese in this recipe - I added a little too much in the original recipe. The result, however, was an extremely flavorful, comforting turkey burger. It ended up being an affordable meal that I can make any night of the week - but still feel like I'm having a special, out-of-the-ordinary dinner.


Kind-of-Mediterreanean Turkey Burgers
Yields: 2 burgers

-1/2 package of scrambled turkey (freeze the second half for future recipes/meals)
-4-5 jarred and pitted kalamata olives, chopped
-1/3 cup crumbled goat cheese (and a little extra for top of burgers)
-Dried parsley
-Dried rosemary
-Black pepper and a little salt

Directions: Just mix all of the above together in a bowl, and form into two good-sized burger patties (make sure to go light on the salt, as the olives are already pretty salty). Cook in frying pan with a little oil, and serve on toasted whole wheat bulkie rolls with extra goat cheese and sliced tomato.

On the side, I made my favorite oven-baked potato fries - which, to me, are sooo much better (and healthier!) than throwing some sliced potatoes in my deep fryer with a ridiculous amount of oil. All I do for these oven-baked gems is slice the potatoes lengthwise, mix with a tbsp. of olive oil, some rosemary, parsley, salt and pepper, and lay them flat on a baking sheet. I throw them in the oven at 450 degrees for 30-35 minutes (or until crispy), turning them once.


And wala! You have yummy, good-for-you fries.

No comments:

Post a Comment