Friday, March 5, 2010

Meals on wheels: The inevitable Dunkin' Donuts

Many people believe the life of a food writer is glamorous. Eating exotic meals at high end restaurants, meeting some of the most esteemed chefs, getting to eat and write about the whole experience for a living. However, the reality is more about having to eat at three restaurants in one evening in order to meet a deadline, praying on a weekly basis that you dodge food poisoning from that sketchy new pub you had to review, and eating non work-related meals in the car because you work at least one to two other jobs. But if you love it - if you live for the luxury of being able to indulge in food (whether good or downright bad) and tell everyone about it in writing - then every chomp, gulp, and trip to the ER is worth it.

So where the hell am I going with this? Case in point: I ate breakfast in my car this morning, and opted for one of the many fast food joints that completely deface what food is meant to be (and taste like): Dunkin' Donuts. I'll admit, I have beef with this place - I worked for a number of years at a Honey Dew Donuts, and immediately discovered how low quality DD's food and coffee are. But the pink and orange king is on every goddamn street corner - some mornings, I just can't avoid it. And this morning, I have to admit I was happy I couldn't.

I really had no interest in trying one of Dunkin's flatbread egg sandwiches, but my roommate and Zach have given them rave reviews - so I caved. I ordered the egg white veggie flatbread, and although it looked like it was ridden over by a Mack truck, the taste was surprisingly vivacious on the tongue - with a subtle kick to it.


The neon orange cheddar cheese was even perfectly melted, and I didn't even mind the microwaved, fluffy eggs and bland flatbread. I found myself (gasp!) enjoying a Dunkin's sandwich. The coffee, however, still tasted like water with cream and sugar; but I'll let that one go for today.

Are you a fan of Dunkin' Donuts? Why or why not?

1 comment:

  1. wow I am very surprised by this article, and more surprised that dunks came out with something good to eat :)

    ReplyDelete