Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Spicy black bean & corn quesadillas

I think I have a weird obsession with quesadillas. I make different variations at home all the time, and, sadly, I order them way too often at restaurants (and not just Mexican restaurants). Quesadillas are just so versatile, tasty, and chocked full of one of my favorite things: cheese.

So, the other night, I fed my obsession by purchasing some fixings for a vegetarian-friendly quesadilla - plus used up some items I already had at home. Buying all the goods to make them right in my own kitchen is so much cheaper than ordering them at a restaurant, too - for less than $10, I had enough ingredients for four quesadillas!


Spicy Black Bean & Corn Quesadillas
Yields: 4 servings

Ingredients:
-1 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed
-2 cups frozen corn
-1.5 cups grape tomatoes, halved
-9-10 jarred jalapeno slices, chopped (less or more depending on your spice preference)
-Pepper jack cheese, shredded
-1 ripe avocado, cut lengthwise
-4 whole wheat tortillas (or white, depending on your preference)
-1 tbsp. jarred minced garlic
-1 tbsp. olive oil
-Chili powder
-Cumin
-Tabasco sauce
-Salt and pepper to taste
-Generous squirt of lime juice

Directions:
Pour beans and corn into a sautee pan with olive oil, and cook on medium heat for about 2 minutes. Add jalapeno slices, and flavor with chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, and Tabasco sauce (I never measure spices). After another 1-2 minutes of cooking, add in the tomatoes, Tabasco sauce, and garlic, and cook for another 30 seconds. Add lime juice and cook for a final 30 seconds.

I know you all know how to build a quesadilla, but here's how I layered mine: I placed a generous layer of shredded pepper jack cheese on one side of each of the open tortillas. Then, I added an even amount of the corn and bean mixture to each, and placed 1/4 of the avocado slices on each tortilla. I topped the mixture with some more cheese, then folded the tortilla in half. I then placed it on a frying pan (which has been sprayed with cooking spray), and cooked until golden brown on each side of the tortilla.


The end result was spicy, full of flavor, and extra cheesy, without being too filling. I will definitely be making these again!

No comments:

Post a Comment