Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Second Helping: Local Grape Tomato Tart with Goat Cheese & Onions

This week's Second Helping recipe is a little...backwards, let's say. I use the term "backwards" because the first part of this recipe can't be shown quite yet. I used grape tomatoes from Bart's Farm Stand in Leominster (which I picked up at the Waltham Farmer's Market this past weekend) for both recipes, and the original dish will be featured on Local in Season very soon. The Second Helping, however, can be shared here today - and I am definitely eager to share this one with you guys.


Local yellow grape tomatoes meet goat cheese, caramelized onions and pie crust. All cooked into one bubbling, elegant dish. Oh yeah.

When I made this dish, I only had a sparing amount of leftovers available, so I could only make the dish for one. However, you can obviously easily double or quadruple this dish if needed. Or, if you're home alone for the evening and want a different, simple, fancier dish for dinner - make this.

Local Grape Tomato Tart with Goat Cheese & Onions
Yields: 1 serving

-1/4 cup red onion, diced
-1/8 heaping cup yellow grape tomatoes, halved
-1/8 cup goat cheese
-1/2 tsp. butter
-2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
-Frozen pie crust, thawed
-Salt and pepper to taste

Directions: Use a paper towel to rub butter on the bottom and sides of a ramekin (I also used a sprinkle of flour). Cut a large circle out of pie crust (I used a water glass), and place in a medium-sized ramekin. Press into bottom and sides of ramekin; use extra pie crust if needed. Poke small holes in bottom and sides of crust with a fork. Place ramekin on a cookie sheet, and put into oven at 375* for 15-20 minutes, or until crust is golden brown. While crust is baking, heat 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil at medium to low heat in a saute pan. Add diced onions and season with some salt and pepper. Cook onions in oil for 10 to 15 minutes, or until onions are translucent and slightly browned.

When crust is done baking, take out of the oven and put the oven on broil. Pour onions into the bottom of the crust. Add most of the goat cheese, and top off with tomatoes and a little extra goat cheese. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Place back into oven on top rack for 3-4 minutes. Let cool for 2-3 minutes before eating.


The slightly roasted tomatoes were incredibly juicy and full of flavor. The sweetness from the onion and tomatoes worked beautifully with the tartness of the goat cheese. The crust also added a necessary, crispy texture to the dish. I will definitely be making this one again.

How have you incorporated locally-grown foods in your cooking lately?

1 comment:

  1. This is the second veggie tart I've seen recently and I know that I will be making one very soon! I've been making lots of fun stuff with local ingredients - most recently my roasted eggplant pasta and my Caprese egg white omelette.

    ReplyDelete