Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Second Helping: Avocado-Corn Salsa

Original Recipe
My nephew, Ryder, means the world to me, so when he turned 3 last weekend, I was eager to celebrate. His party had a Toy Story 3 theme, equipped with blue cupcakes (to resemble Buzz Lightyear) and not so Toy Story-themed Avocado-Corn Salsa, made by me.


Although the cupcakes were a big hit that day (Ryder alone ate four or five), the Avocado-Corn Salsa was also pretty popular. Being a hot, humid day, the salsa was a crisp, cold and refreshing treat.


I originally found this magazine on Food & Wine's website, but I made some alterations, per usual (mainly to save some money). For instance, the original recipe called for one ear of corn, husked, and I just used a bag of frozen corn. I also doubled the recipe so it would serve at least eight people (which it did...although there wasn't a drop left by the end of the party).

Avocado-Corn Salsa (The Economical Eater version)
Yields: 8 servings

-2 Hass avocados, cut into 1/4-inch dice
-4 to 5 tbsp. lime juice (I used bottled; feel free to use fresh if you have limes on hand)
-2 tomatoes - halved, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch dice
-1 bag frozen corn
-1/4 cup diced red onion 
-7-8 jarred jalapeno slices, diced
-1 tbsp. dried cilantro
-Salt and pepper to taste

Directions: In a bowl, mix above ingredients together at least 30 minutes before serving time (I usually let it sit overnight in the fridge to allow the flavors to marry). Serve with Tostitos Scoops! Tortilla Chips. 

Second Helping Recipe
Since I only used 1/4 cup red onion, and still had an avocado and some jalapenos on hand, I decided to make myself a spicy, protein-filled breakfast a few days after Ryder's party. I also had a can of black beans in  the pantry, which was calling my name (and could also be very good in the Avocado-Corn Salsa - next time). So, I picked up some Pepper Jack bread from Russo's, and made a satisfying egg sandwich before work.


I simply cooked the onions in some olive oil until they were translucent, and then I added the black beans, 3-4 diced jalapeno slices, chili powder, 1/2 tsp. garlic, salt, pepper, and a squirt of lime juice. For the egg, I scrambled one egg with some milk, salt and pepper, cooked it in some butter, then added the bean mixture. I topped it all off with some cheddar cheese and fresh avocado. 


This sandwich seriously kept me full until well past lunchtime. The fresh bread and spicy kick from the beans helped to make this breakfast extra special - and I am so grateful to have leftovers of the bean mixture. Next time, though, I'll just toast or grill the bread, to make it more crispy.

What's your favorite dish to make with avocados? 



2 comments:

  1. The avocado corn salsa sounds so refreshing and perfect for summer! My favorite avocado dish is guacamole - healthy and perfect for snacking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. DELISH salsa- even the 3 yr old enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete