Friday, June 25, 2010

Healthworks, Tofu and Beer

Let’s be honest: I like to work out, and I consider myself pretty healthy and active - but I don’t love going to the gym. I’d much rather be on a bike outside, or taking a walk through the woods, or going on a hike. However, Healthworks is slowly changing my mind on the whole gym thing. And I hate to love them for that.

When I attended the StyleFixx event a few weeks ago, I scored 12 free gym classes at any of the Healthworks locations. Awesome deal, right? I would be crazy to pass it up, so my cousin and I finally took our first class late last week – and now I’m hooked. We took the 20/20/20 class at the Cambridge location, which was a mix of kick-your-butt cardio and some strength training. It was a really fun, interactive class that kept me from getting bored and staring at the clock.

After the class, we were sweaty, hungry messes. I showered quickly in the Healthworks locker room, and then we walked over to Christopher’s for some protein-fueled eats.


We started with their Southwestern Tofu Dip ($6.95), and my mouth is literally watering as I type this. This dip was incredibly delicious, and totally hit the spot after a hard workout. The dip was a bubbling, warm bowl of black beans, corn, cheddar, goat cheese, tofu, onions and jalapenos. I could easily have eaten this with a spoon, but it came with tortilla chips for dipping. 

For an entrĂ©e, I opted for the Apple Spinach Salad ($7.95) which came with…you guessed it…spinach and apples, along with red onion, walnuts, and blue cheese with a cider vinaigrette. The salad was nothing too special, but the ingredients were fresh and meshed together beautifully. There was also the perfect amount of light, flavorful vinaigrette coating the greens.


After a somewhat healthy and completely satisfying meal at Christopher’s, my cousin and I met Z and some friends at Cambridge Common, which just so happens to be owned by the same folks as Christopher’s. At Cambridge Common, I had beer for dessert (I earned those carbs!).


All in all, we had a wonderful evening - a tough workout, delicious food, and great company was an awesome way to start the weekend.

Are you a fan of the gym? Why or why not?

Christopher's on Urbanspoon

4 comments:

  1. ha, i can so relate. i love going to the gym and sweating it out. totally re-energizes me. but really? let's be honest. i do it so that i can guiltlessly chow down on a slice of NYC's finest and chase it down with a cold one.

    it's all about "breaking even."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I very strangely like going to the gym. It is my own personal time where I can listen to some music, work out my stresses and feel better at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO delicious, and their baked haddock on salad special was excellent as well. I've wanted to get another one ever since :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ummm, can you conjure up your own recipe for that tofu dip??? it does look DELISH :)

    ReplyDelete