Thursday, February 4, 2010

Food, Inc. inspired shopping spree at Russo's

The other night, I finally watched Food, Inc. – and the movie ruined me. Or made me a better person, depending on your perspective. I don’t have plans to become a full blown vegetarian, but I am definitely going to start paying much closer attention to what I’m shoving down my gullet.

Since the movie is still fresh in my mind, the last thing I wanted to cook up for dinner last night was mechanically engineered chicken. Instead, my roommate showed me one of my new favorite markets, right down the street from us in Watertown: Russo’s.

Russo’s makes Whole Foods look like Stop & Shop. The good sized marketplace is chocked full of fresh, hard-to-find produce (sunchokes, anyone?), homemade pasta, fresh baked goods, and even pre-made dishes for on-the-go folks.


Let’s just say I was in foodie heaven walking around this place, and was so relieved that not one product I looked at had an ingredient list a mile long, full of unpronounceable words. It was all fresh, homemade, “real” food.





My roommate and I ended up grabbing homemade sauce, pizza crust and veggies for dinner last evening (she footed the bill), but I also grabbed some of the best guacamole I’ve ever tasted (with fresh cilantro leaves and chunks of bright green avocado), a big container of spicy hommus, fresh mozzarella, a red pepper, and a portabello mushroom – all for the price tag of $11.91. Not a bad cost, considering the quality of food I was getting. Financially, I can’t do my grocery shopping at Russo's every week, but I’ll definitely be going there more often for “safer” meats and produce.

Have you seen Food, Inc.? What did you think of the movie?

No comments:

Post a Comment