Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Almost Summer Corn Soup

One of my favorite things to do as a kid (in the summer) was sit on the back deck with my siblings and shuck fresh ears of corn. Having fresh corn was always a treat, and we usually ate cobs slathered in butter alongside fresh lobster (also slathered in butter) or burgers and dogs on the grill. Those are some of my favorite childhood memories, and every time I shuck a fresh ear of corn today, I'm brought back to those blissful summer days.

We ended up with a ton of leftover corn from the Union Square Farmers' Market several weekends ago, and I dreaded it going to waste. In an effort to make use of it all, I threw together this corn soup - complete with a homemade, silky corn stock.

Almost Summer Corn Soup | The Economical Eater

This soup definitely had me reminiscing about my childhood days in the backyard. It also had me that much more excited for the summer ahead.

Head on over to Local in Season for the recipe!

We also have a winner of my BBQ sauce giveaway! The winner was chosen using Random.org.

And the winner is...

Theresa!

"I'm also gonna go with sweet chipotle bourbon, woot woot!"

Congrats, Theresa! Please email me within 48 hours to claim your prize.


4 comments:

  1. Bring on summer and lots of corn on the cob! The soup sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This soup looks great. I used to love shucking corn with my sister, and now I do it with my niece and nephew when I am home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so sweet. You've inspired me to introduce my nieces and nephew to the art of shucking corn this summer!

      Delete
  3. I have very similar memories shucking corn as a kid! I just made a clam and corn chowder. so tasty.

    ReplyDelete