Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Rosemary Beer Biscuits

Working from home on Friday afternoons is always dangerous. When 3 p.m. rolls around, I usually still have work to do...but having a beer while finishing the day seems like it would be OK. Thankfully, I've yet to give in to this craving - except for last Friday, when I decided to bake with beer (and finish off the bottle, as I hate wasting).

My idea to bake with beer was inspired by this recipe. Our rosemary plant was also an inspiration, as it is one of the few herbs that actually decided to grow this year (or, that the wild rabbit decided not to eat) - and I seriously can't get enough of the stuff. The smell of rosemary alone is borderline magical.


The beer I used for this was Heavy Seas' Gold, but I highly recommend using a wheat beer if you have one.


Ready to see how easy this recipe is?


Rosemary Beer Biscuits
Yields: 8 biscuits
Adapted from The Beeroness
-2 cups all-purpose flour
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-1 teaspoon black pepper
-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
-1/2 teaspoon baking soda
-1 teaspoon sugar
-1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
-1 stick cold butter, cut into small cubes
-1/2 cup beer (preferably wheat beer)
-1 tablespoon shredded white cheddar
-Sea salt and extra black pepper, for sprinkling (I used Soluna Garden Farm's Rosemary Salt)

Directions:
1.) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2.) Put the flour, salt, pepper, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and rosemary in a food processor and pulse until combined. Add butter cubes and process until the butter is evenly distributed, about 1-2 minutes. (I ended up working some of the butter into the mixture with my hands after 1 minute).
3.) Move to a bowl and add the beer and cheese and stir until combined. (You may have to add a little more beer to make the dough stick - add 1 teaspoon at a time until you have the right consistency, if needed).
4.) Dump the dough onto a floured surface. Squish together with your hands to form a ball and then flatten into a rectangle about 6 inches wide and 10 inches long and 2 inches high. Use a sharp knife to cut the biscuits into squares. You can make the biscuits as big or small as you want, but this recipe will make about 8 average-sized biscuits.
5.) Place the biscuits on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Sprinkle the top with a bit of sea salt and pepper.
6.) Bake for 15-18 minutes or until light golden brown.

[Print this recipe]


These biscuits turned out perfectly flaky and buttery, and were so simple to make. Plus, you end up with a few sips of beer to enjoy after baking...and while finishing up work, in my case. ;)


 Have you ever baked with beer before?


3 comments:

  1. The rosemary-beer combo sounds great! I always think about making beer bread but have yet to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always wanted to make beer bread, too! I've Pinned recipes, but that's about as far as I've gotten. ;)

      Delete
  2. love rosemary, definitely a great pair in these biscuits :)

    ReplyDelete