Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Quinoa Burrito Bowls

Somehow, I always forget about quinoa. And as a vegetarian, that's pretty sad. Quinoa is an excellent source of protein, it's versatile, and it's [usually] very affordable (especially at Trader Joe's).

I saw a recipe in Vegetarian Times that inspired this dinner, but really, I mostly just winged it. That's why I'm calling these "Quinoa Burrito Bowls," because burritos can really be filled with whatever ingredients you desire - although beans, salsa, and sour cream should always be involved, am I right?


Basically, I cooked the quinoa according to the package directions (I made enough for four). In a separate pan, I cooked down some chopped onion, then added a can of black beans (drained and rinsed), some chopped pickled jalapenos, and some leftover grilled asparagus for the last few minutes of cooking time. Once the quinoa was done, I added the onion and bean mixture, then seasoned everything with salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, and some dried oregano. Then, I added about 1/4 cup of chunky salsa and gave it all a stir.


Serve with fresh avocado slices and sour cream.

Easy, right? And so, so satisfying. The beans and quinoa provided great protein, while the vegetables, seasonings, and salsa added great flavor and spice. Feel free to make this with whatever meat and/or vegetables you want!

Are you a fan of quinoa? If yes, what's your favorite quinoa recipe?


1 comment:

  1. That sounds awesome. I love quinoa. I made a great quinoa-stuffed squash recently. That might be my favorite.

    ReplyDelete