Tuesday, September 10, 2013

A4 Pizza Bar in Somerville

I promise our final honeymoon recap will be posted later this week, but for now, get yourselves to A4 Pizza Bar in Somerville.

The latest venture from the folks behind Area Four has brought their signature brick-oven pies to my neck of the woods, and boy am I thankful they did. The smaller, newer restaurant has an also smaller menu, complete with a few non-pizza items, pizzas, a few craft beers on tap, wine, and Maker's Mark (the only liquor they sell). Oh, and did I mention they have old school Sega and Nintendo? You can play at the bar while you eat.


Z and I visited the other night, and started with a round of Slumbrew's My Better Half ($7), an imperial cream ale.


We then shared the Heirloom Tomato and Watermelon Greek Salad ($12), which also consisted of cucumber, red onion, feta, kalamata olives, and oregano vinaigrette.


This salad could have been unimpressive, but thanks to A4's dedication to utilizing local and seasonal ingredients, it was actually quite a success. Quality ingredients make all the difference!

A4's pies are a little larger than a "personal pizza," so we decided to get two (and, as a result, we had a few slices to take home with us). I went for the Exotic Mushroom ($17), while Z opted for the Basil-Walnut Pesto ($16.50).

My mushroom pizza was topped with mushroom sauce, gremolata, and Baffoni Farm eggs.


Z's pizza was topped with zucchini, toasted walnuts, olives, feta, and pecorino (please excuse the terrible photo).


Both of our pizzas were good, but mine was definitely the winner. The runny, rich eggs with the earthy mushrooms was a fantastic combination. Unfortunately, both of our crusts were a tad overdone, but I'm sure after being open for a bit longer that won't be an issue. Perhaps they're just getting used to the new oven?

Either way, we had a great meal at A4 Pizza Bar and we are psyched that it's within walking distance to our house. Now, anytime I want to play Mario on Nintendo - while eating pizza and drinking beer - I can. Woot!

Have you checked out any new restaurants lately? 


6 comments:

  1. That pizza looks delicious - cannot wait to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard such awesome things about A4's pizza and I really need to check it out ASAP!

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  3. So jealous you can walk there. I used to be able to. :( The pizzas look great and that salad sounds really amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm bummed I didn't get to try their new location before moving! I miss Area 4!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everyone has been telling me I need to get there and try the mushroom pizza. Thanks for the evidence!

    ReplyDelete