Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Nutella and Banana Turnovers with Sea Salt


These turnovers are so easy to make, it's almost silly to blog the recipe. But despite they're simplicity, these turnovers taste bomb dot com - so I just have to share them with you all. That is, if you like Nutella...and bananas...and buttery pastry. But honestly, if you don't like any of those things, I may just have to kindly ask you to leave. Thanks for understanding.

This recipe is literally as "easy as 1, 2, 3." See for yourself:


Nutella and Banana Turnovers with Sea Salt
Yields: 4 turnovers
Inspired by Nutmeg Nanny
-1 sheet of frozen puff pastry, thawed
-1/2 cup Nutella
-1 banana, sliced
-1 egg
-2 tablespoons water
-Sea salt (optional)

Directions:
1.) Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
2.) Cut the thawed puff pastry into four equal parts, and place the four sections onto the prepared baking sheet.
3.) Spoon equal amounts of Nutella into the center of each of the puff pastry squares. Then, top with banana slices (about four slices per square). 
4.) In a small bowl, whisk together the egg with the water. Brush a small amount of the egg wash along one side of each puff pastry square. Then, fold one corner of each square to meet the opposite corner (to form a triangle), and seal closed with a fork. Brush the outsides of each turnover with egg wash, and sprinkle with sea salt. Cut a slit into the top of each turnover.
5.) Place in the oven for about 15 minutes, or until turnovers are golden brown.


The flaky, buttery puff pastry paired with the gooey, sweet Nutella and banana is dangerously addictive. And the hint of sea salt? Ungodly good. I literally had to restrain myself from eating two of these in one sitting. 

What's your favorite salty-sweet combination? Besides Nutella and sea salt, I also adore pretzels and chocolate together!


10 comments:

  1. What is not to love about these! Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love salty-sweet desserts and have made a few salted Nutella treats too. I'm also nuts over salted caramel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow, I forgot about salted caramel! I also love that flavor combination.

      Delete
  3. can't even believe how easy this looks and how delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing! These look absolutely delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG. These look and sound amazing! If I had those ingredients on hand, I'd be making them right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea. I think I need to start keeping these ingredients on hand for a quick dessert!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! I always have frozen puff pastry on hand. It comes in so handy!

      Delete
  7. salty sweet is where it's at :) given my recent post, i'm going to say apples and cheese, but i love adding savory/salty elements to otherwise benign desserts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes please yes please yes please! There is nothing that could possibly suck about these turnovers!

    ReplyDelete