Tuesday, January 29, 2013

$5 Croques at Bistro du Midi

I rarely venture into Boston for food and/or drinks. Most of the time, it's because I'm too damn comfortable in my Somerville/Cambridge bubble (especially when the weather is below 10 degrees). But I also rarely go into Boston because of how expensive it can be. If I know I can walk down my own street and get dinner for under $10, why would I bike into Boston or take the T to pay double that?

Let's just say, Bistro du Midi has given me a new reason to go into Boston to eat. Every Tuesday, this French restaurant on Boylston Street is serving up what they call "Croque Tuesdays." And on Croque Tuesdays, croques are only $5.

Z and I attended Bistro du Midi's kick-off party for their new weekly event, which provided samples of their $5 croques (made by Chef/Partner Robert Sisca), including a vegetarian (or "skinny") croque. Croque Tuesdays also feature wine and cocktail pairings by Beverage Director Todd Lipman, and at the kick-off event, we got to try Lipman's Par Avion (recipe below).


So, was the food/drink worth venturing into Boston for? Yes. The vegetarian croque was really flavorful, and the few bite-size samples I tried were basically just a tease. I definitely plan to go back to Bistro du Midi for a full-size croque, for the tiny price of $5. Oh, and the Par Avion cocktail was good, too. So good, in fact, that I downed three over the course of the night. Here's the recipe:

Par Avion (Bistro du Midi's Todd Lipman)
-3/4 ounce Old Overholt Rye
-3/4 ounce Aperol
-3/4 ounce Averna
-3/4 ounce fresh lemon juice
Served down with an orange round

Croque Tuesdays take place every Tuesday from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. at Bistro du Midi's bar. 

Regardless of where you live, do you tend to venture into surrounding cities on a regular basis, or do you typically stay in your neighborhood?

The samples provided at this event were complimentary, but as always, the opinions expressed in this post are honest and 100 percent my own. 

Bistro du Midi on Urbanspoon

5 comments:

  1. This event was so much, and it was great catching up with you and Z there! We are trying to check out restaurants in our new neighborhood, but we still venture wherever we need to to meet up with friends for dinner too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed - the event was fun, and it was great catching up!

      Delete
  2. I'm the same way...I usually stick to Cambridge and Somerville (especially in the winter). I'm glad to know this is worth the trip into Boston!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so good to see you! i ALSO drank three of those cocktails

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the croques and cocktails; what a fun pairing!

    ReplyDelete