Friday, April 2, 2010

Second helping pizza

Growing up in my parents' house, leftovers for dinner was a regular occurrence. There were six of us total, so when my Mom cooked, she cooked enough for an army - and we'd eat the leftovers until they were gone. So when I started cooking for myself in college, I realized that you can still use the same leftovers (as I hate wasting food), but you can turn them into a new dish the next night, to prevent a horrific case of Dinner Boredom.

And that's what I did the other night. I used up the rest of the chicken sausage from my whole wheat pasta recipe (I had frozen the leftover sausage), bought some pizza crust and crumbled goat cheese, and used up the rest of the arugula in my fridge to make one healthy, indulgent pizza.


The crust I used was Molinaro's Thin Crust ($4.49 at Hannaford), which comes with two pizza crusts, both with their own package of pizza sauce. The end result was a crispy, decadent pizza, and the Italian chicken sausage paired perfectly with the creamy, tangy goat cheese and peppery arugula.


How have you used leftovers to make a brand new meal?



No comments:

Post a Comment