Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Hearty Kale, Sweet Potato and Lentil Soup

For the last few years, Z and I have vowed to make lots of soup during the winter months. Every year, we have failed. Until this year.

Between the Black Bean and Pumpkin Chili and my Slow Cooker Vegetarian Chili, Sundays in our house have smelled good lately. And thanks to Pinterest, I also gained new inspiration to break away from the chilis and try my hand at a hearty winter soup.

This little number can probably be made in the crockpot, too, but I was able to whip it up right on our stovetop within an hour (that time includes all of the chopping, etc.). I do advise you, however, to cook the sweet potatoes slightly before starting on the soup – by the time my lentils were tender, my sweet potatoes were still hard as stones.


Hearty Kale, Sweet Potato and Lentil Soup
Yields: 6 servings
Adapted from Real Simple
-2 tablespoons olive oil
-1 yellow onion, chopped
-1 clove garlic, minced
-1 28-ounce can whole tomatoes, mostly drained
-1 bay leaf
-1 teaspoon dried thyme
-1 teaspoon cumin
-1/2 teaspoon turmeric
-1 teaspoon dried oregano
-Pinch of cayenne pepper
-Salt and black pepper, to taste
-4 cups vegetable broth + 2 cups water
-2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
-2 cups frozen kale
-1/2 cup green lentils

Directions:
1.) Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to soften, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook, breaking them up with a spoon, for 5 minutes. Add bay leaf, and season tomatoes and onions with thyme, cumin, turmeric, oregano, cayenne, salt and pepper. 
2.) Add vegetable broth and water and bring to a boil. Stir in the sweet potatoes, kale and lentils. Simmer until the lentils are tender, 25 to 30 minutes.
3.) Taste soup and adjust seasoning as necessary. Spoon into bowls (remember to remove the bay leaf!), and serve with bread for dipping (we enjoyed our soup with some Robinhood Meetinghouse Sweet Potato Biscuits). 

I’m a big fan of stews vs. soups, and this soup went down like a nice, hearty stew. The thick potatoes, protein-packed lentils and fiber-filled kale not only made this soup ultra satisfying, but insanely nutritious to boot. I definitely plan to make another batch before the winter is over!

Which do you prefer: soups or stews?


4 comments:

  1. This can't go wrong -- it's made up of things I love! Definitely trying this out soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear it, Lauren! Enjoy.

      Delete
  2. Sounds great! I actually made a kale, sweet potato, and sausage soup during the hurricane. I bet lentils would be delicious too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do the same thing every winter, but then never have the time to make big pots of soup! I need to start making more quick soups like this.

    ReplyDelete