Thursday, January 5, 2012

Pitchers and Pizza at Newtowne Grille

Some people laugh at me when I say I love Newtowne Grille in Cambridge.

Isn't that the dive bar on Mass. Ave.?

Oh, it's a bit dive-y. But the drinks and food are cheap, the staff is friendly, and every paying customer eventually becomes your friend.

Newtowne Grille - which has a second location in Billerica - was opened in 1966 by Socrates, the father/grandfather of the current owners. The restaurant is named after the town that used to combine both Cambridge and Newton many years ago.

I've only been to Newtowne Grille a few times so far, but I plan to be back many, many times in the future - especially since we live only a few blocks away, and, well, they have Keno. The best part about Newtowne Grille, though, is their pizza and pitcher special. Any night of the week, when you buy ANY pitcher of beer, you can get a large cheese pizza for only $4 more. And the pizza is good.

The exterior of Newtowne Grille in Cambridge is nothing impressive, but trust me when I say that the affordable prices, delicious pizza, and fun, friendly atmosphere are worth paying them a visit.

What's your favorite no-frills restaurant in Boston?

Newtowne Grille on Urbanspoon

7 comments:

  1. sounds like an awesome spot. and pizza and beer for only $4?! Ernestos (awesome North End pizza) has that special too, but it costs $20.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're going all my favorite local places lately! I just had the pizza at Newtowne during trivia night - so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa, we should meet up for pizza and a pitcher there one night!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AH! I LOVE Newtowne! One of my best friends used to live across the street from it- and would rave. I thought she was crazy til I tried it. I miss Newtowne!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a group of friends that play trivia there every week and they love the pizza and beer special too. I've been there and you're right, everyone knows everyone and they treat you like family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yayyyyy! Newtowne Grille is the best trivia night around! I frequent it for many reasons - The pizza is wonderful (how can you go wrong with that pizza/beer special), the chipotle wings are to die for, it's packed with people (get there early), and the trivia guy (Matt) is the best one around! Hail Newtowne!

    ReplyDelete