Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Fried Egg with Spicy Rice and Beans

Between the new house, the humidity and my decreasing desire to cook in my current, tiny kitchen, I have had next to no motivation to cook these days. Let's just say the dozen eggs in my freezer have gone to great use lately. But the other night, the thought of eating yet another fried egg sandwich with cheese and salsa was just not appealing to me. So I improvised.


Fried Egg with Spicy Rice and Beans
Yields: 3-4 servings
-3 cups of rice, cooked according to package directions
-3 eggs
-6 jarred jalapeno slices, diced
-1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
-1 tbsp. olive oil
-1/2 tsp. minced garlic
-1 tsp. cumin
-1/2 tbsp. chili powder
-1 tsp. dried cilantro
-Lime juice, to taste
-Salt and black pepper, to taste
-1/2 cup salsa (preferably hot)

Directions:
1.) Heat olive oil in a large pan over low to medium heat; add black beans and jalapenos. Let cook for about two minutes until beans are slightly heated through.
2.) Add garlic, cumin, chili powder and salt and pepper; stir. Add cilantro and lime juice, and let cook off for 30 seconds. Lower heat, and let simmer for 1-2 minutes.
3.) While beans are simmering, fry egg in a separate pan, without breaking the yolk. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
4.) In each serving bowl, spoon in one cup of the cooked rice, followed by a layer of the bean mixture. Spoon some salsa on top of that, and then top each bowl with a fried egg.

I love runny eggs all by themselves, but over spicy beans and rice? Amazing. And wonderfully comforting, without sitting like a rock in your stomach. This just may become my new go-to meal.

Have you been cooking a lot lately in this humidity? Where does your motivation come from?

2 comments:

  1. I made an interesting egg dish last night because we're on a mission to clean out our fridge and freezer! It will be on my blog later this week!

    ReplyDelete