Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Homemade Egg Salad

I'm a huge fan of the incredible, edible egg.


After spending too much money over the last few weeks - not to mention having a current obsession with hard-boiled eggs - I decided to use up some of the eggs in my fridge to use in my lunches this week. I had just purchased a new loaf of bread, so I decided to make some homemade egg salad. For some odd reason, I expected the process to take all afternoon - but it actually ended up being surprisingly quick, and totally worth the effort.


Homemade Egg Salad
Yields: 3-4 servings
-4 eggs
-1/2 tbsp. mayonnaise
-1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
-1/2 tsp. chili powder
-1 tsp. dried parsley
-Salt and pepper, to taste

Directions:
1.) Place eggs in a saucepan, and cover with cold water. Place on stove, and bring water to a boil. Remove pan from heat, cover and let eggs sit for 10-15 minutes. Remove eggs from water, let cool, then peel and chop the eggs.
2.) Place chopped eggs in a bowl and mix with the mayonnaise and Dijon. Add chili powder and parsley; taste for salt and pepper.
3.) Let sit in fridge, covered, for at least 30 minutes before serving.
*Recommended serving: On a sandwich with fresh, sliced avocado. 


It has been forever since I've had an egg salad sandwich, and I will definitely be making more of these this summer. The cold, protein-filled eggs just taste so delicious with the spicy Dijon and chili powder, sandwiched between two pieces of hearty bread. A side of salt and black pepper Kettle Chips doesn't hurt, either. 

Do you normally bring lunch to work, or do you tend to go out for lunch most days of the week?

Also: Today's the last day to enter my Father's Day cookbook giveaway! Good luck!

7 comments:

  1. I work from home mostly now, but I used to always bring my lunch. I still send breakfast and lunch with my husband every day too. It saves so much money and also keeps away those impulse buys of fries for lunch! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't had an egg salad sandwich in forever! love the recipe esp the addition of fresh avocado!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh this looks great! My husband was away over the weekend and I was lazy and ate egg salad twice. I smashed eggs with the avocado and used just a hint of mayo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Egg salad is so easy and makes such a great lunch! I love it on toast.

    I try to bring lunch and only allow myself to go out one day a week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Megan, I love the idea of limiting yourself to one day per week - that would give me something to look forward to during the work week, without overspending.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I usually bring leftover dinner for lunch but sometimes I buy lunch when I'm feeling lazy. I'm also happily discovering the lunch spots near my new work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks really good!! I love egg salad--and I love your idea of adding avocado to it. As for lunch at work--I always always bring it. It saves so much money and is much healthier for you.

    ReplyDelete