Thursday, June 16, 2011

Lanes and Games

Carpeted walls, cheap beer and pool tables. 


No, I’m not describing our new house (which we just closed on yesterday!).


I’m talking about Lanes and Games in Cambridge.


Z, myself and a few of our friends ventured out to Lanes and Games on Sunday afternoon to drink some affordable brews and play a few strings of bowling.

To be honest, I am a terrible bowler….but I think Wii Bowling has made me better! The $3-$4 draft beers served in plastic cups probably made me a better bowler, too (Lanes and Games has an impressive amount of beers on tap, for being a bowling alley – and they have a nice, large bar/lounge area, right by the lanes on the second floor).

The décor and technology at Lanes and Games proves that nothing there has been changed since the 1980’s – but that is part of its charm. The carpeted walls, horrific animations on the old school scoreboards, and incredible 1980’s/early ‘90s music blaring on the speakers bought me right back to my childhood. Except I was a better bowler back then.

Lanes and Games is located dangerously close to Alewife, and we already have plans to head back there on a Friday or Saturday night in the near future. They also have pool tables and arcade games - so it would be very easy to spend an entire evening there. Did I also mention they have cheap beer?

What's your favorite thing about the '80s?

8 comments:

  1. That's going to be my new after-work hangout soon enough. :)

    Congrats on closing on a house!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Lanes and Games! You captured it perfectly too- carpeted walls and cheap beer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've always wanted to go here! looks so cool! congrats on the house!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the new house! Exciting! : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. congratulations on the house! so exciting! i also love tipsy bowling. it improves my game, too.

    my favorite thing about the 80s is the golden girls. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love The Golden Girls!! And thanks for the congrats, everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you had a good time here; we tried to go one time and it was too busy so we didn't wait around! We'll have to go back. Congrats on your house!

    ReplyDelete