Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Yasso Frozen Greek Yogurt Bars

Spring has finally sprung!

Yasso Frozen Greek Yogurt Bars | The Economical Eater

OK, it hasn't really sprung - considering snow is on the forecast for this evening - but I like to pretend. And what better way to celebrate spring than with tasty frozen bars to snack on?

Yasso Frozen Greek Yogurt Bars | The Economical Eater

My friends at Yasso (who are based in downtown Boston) sent me a coupon to try their new Frozen Greek Yogurt Bars flavors, and after seeing kinds like Peanut Butter Cup and Sea Salt Caramel, I happily obliged. I was also happy to see that Yasso's bars are only made with natural ingredients, contain no artificial sweeteners, are low in calories and high in protein, and contain rBST-free milk. 

The flavor I decided to try was the Chocolate Fudge, which tasted almost like a grown-up Fudgsical. I say "grown-up" because of the tangy Greek yogurt flavor throughout - which also contributes to the 7 grams of protein per bar. On a [finally!] spring-like day, this chocolatey snack cured my sweet treat cravings, without totally blowing my sugar intake for the day. (Typically, when I have sweet snacks, my blood sugar goes haywire - but this bar didn't do that to me, thankfully).

The best part about these bars? The first handful of ingredients are recognizable: nonfat milk, Greek yogurt, sugar, milk protein concentrate, and cocoa powder. The few remaining ingredients scare me a bit (maltodextrin, "natural flavor," guar gum, and locust bean gum), but, besides the maltodextrin, the bars contain 2% or less of the remaining ingredients.

Overall, I think these bars make a great snack for the impending spring and summer days. And, thanks to the protein, they actually have some staying power so I you won't crash from a sugar high 30 minutes after consuming one. 

I found the Yasso bars right at my local Star Market/Shaw's, but here's how to find a store near you that sells them.

What's your favorite warm weather snack?

I received a coupon for this product, but all opinions are my own.


1 comment:

  1. Definitely love ice cream and Greek yogurt when it gets warm out. Then again, I eat them year-round anyway!

    ReplyDelete