Thursday, February 27, 2014

Pear Cobbler

Cobbler is one of my favorite winter desserts. Nothing beats warm, fresh fruit combined with a buttery, almost biscuit-like topping. And when a scoop of vanilla ice cream is added to the mix, the angels sing.

Cobbler is also a very versatile dessert - you can pretty much add any fruit you wish, and change it with the seasons. I actually make my own variation of The Pioneer Woman's Rhubarb Cobbler in the summer months, and it is divine.

This winter-friendly Pear Cobbler, however, is chock-full of juicy pear slices, mixed with the warming flavors of garam masala and vanilla. Just don't forget the vanilla ice cream.

Pear Cobbler | The Economical Eater

Pear Cobbler
Yields: About 8 servings
Fruit base:
-3 pears, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
-3/4 cup granulated sugar
-1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
-2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
-1/4 teaspoon garam masala (optional)
-1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Topping:
-2 cups all-purpose flour
-2 tablespoons granulated sugar
-1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
-1 tablespoon baking powder
-1/2 cup unsalted cold butter + extra for greasing the pan
-1/2 cup almond milk (or whole milk)
-1 large egg

Directions:
1.) Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2.) In a medium bowl, combine pears, sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, lemon juice, garam masala, and vanilla extract.
3.) In a separate, large bowl, combine flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, salt, and baking powder; stir. Add butter, then cut together with your hands (or a pastry cutter).
4.) Beat egg and milk together. Pour into flour mixture and stir with a fork until just combined.
5.) Pour pear mixture into a buttered 13" x 9" baking dish (if you have a dish that's a bit smaller than that, it should work fine). Tear off pinches of dough and drop it onto the surface of the pears, creating a "cobbled" texture. Sprinkle additional sugar over the top.
6.) Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbly. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.

[Print this recipe]

Pear Cobbler | The Economical Eater

Z and I aren't huge dessert people, but we were eating this by the spoonful as soon as I was done taking photos of it...at 3 in the afternoon. (We didn't even have any ice cream!). Per usual, the "crust" is my favorite part - it's got an almost flaky texture while still having that biscuit-y, cobbler quality to it. All that mixed with the sweet, warm pears made for a wonderful winter treat.

What kind of fruit cobbler (or crisp) is your favorite? I also love blueberry cobbler (and crisp)!


6 comments:

  1. I like apple cobbler the most, but I wouldn't mind a big chunk of this pear cobbler right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love apple crisp! It just exudes Fall which is my favorite time of year. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of a pear cobbler. I always say I need to cook/bake with pears more. I absolutely love peach crisp or cobbler.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love blueberry cobbler, but I must say with any cobbler, the topping is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here!! With pies, the crust is my favorite part, too. :)

      Delete